Planting for the Future
Trees and forests are an important resource, providing watershed protection, wildlife habitat, recreational opportunities, and protection for crops, soil and livestock. Currently about 800,000 acres – or 1.8 percent – of North Dakota’s total land area is forested, but about 70 percent of North Dakota’s forest land is privately owned. Planting for the Future’s goal is to work with industry, wildlife groups, and private landowners to create large-scale tree and shrub plantings on private land that will serve as habitat for future generations.
The program will achieve this by providing trees to the landowner at no cost. Landowners will only be asked to provide in-kind assistance with site preparation, equipment usage, planting, and care and maintenance of plants. Tree specialists will provide the tree planting equipment and will be available to assist with project planning and supervision during planting.
The program is open to any conservation-minded landowners within the state of North Dakota who want to develop and improve habitat on their land. Projects will be tailored to meet the preferences and priorities of each landowner; however, projects must meet the following conditions:
- Project must be primarily built for habitat. Plantings that serve only as shelter or privacy for homes will not be accepted. Single-row tree rows or shelterbelts are not eligible.
- Project should consist of 600 trees or more. Exceptions may apply where multiple smaller plantings are within a reasonable distance from one another.
- Trees must stay in place for a minimum of ten years.
- Grazing is not permitted within the project borders. Any necessary fencing of project is at the landowner’s expense.
- The landowner must agree to provide labor, equipment and/or monetary support for the project as outlined in the Acknowledgment of Terms and Conditions agreement.
How to Apply
Complete and submit the following:
- Signed Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions form;
Completed application form;
Project map and diagram (see sample).
- Planting for the Future is accepting applications for the 2020 planting season. The deadline is August 1, 2019. To apply, complete the forms above and send to:
or via mail:
North Dakota Petroleum Council
P.O. Box 1395
Bismarck, ND 58501
Thank you to our partners and sponsors!
ConocoPhillips | Whiting Oil & Gas | Slawson Exploration | Crestwood Midstream | Denbury Resources Inc. | Encana | Endless Tubing, LLP | EOG Resources Inc. | Fortis Energy Services | Hess Corporation | Marathon Oil | Petro-Hunt, LLC | Precise Transport, LLC | Western Region Economic Development | WPX Energy | XTO